If you’re even vaguely considering running in the 2017 elections, please come along to Committee and Chill on Thursday of 4th Week (2nd November) at 8pm in the JCR, where current committee members will be present to chat with you and answer any questions you might have about the role. Please also feel free to message each rep directly – contact details can be found here.
If you have any questions regarding elections and referenda, they should be directed to the JCR Returning Officer in the first instance. The contact email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
The role of Overseer is undertaken by the current JCR President. If you have a complaint regarding the actions (or lack thereof) of the JCR Returning Officer, you should make it to the Overseer. The complete set of regulations for the Michaelmas 2017 elections is available here and will be attached in the JCR email.
Presidential Election 2017
Nominations will open during 4th week. Presidential Hustings will be held on Thursday of 5th Week (9th November) in the JCR. The election will be held afterwards via online ballot. Exact timings will be confirmed in the JCR email.
Rest-of-Committee Elections 2017
Nominations for elections to other JCR committee posts will open in 5th Week. To be successfully nominated, candidates must:
- Speak to the current rep about what the role entails
- Get written permission from their personal tutor
- Fill out a form (which will be attached in the email opening nominations)
- Put two copies of an A4 manifesto in the Returning Officer’s pidge:
- It must include a photo of yourself.
- You can be quite creative with what you put in your manifesto, but in past years candidates have explained why they’re suitable for the position or what their ideas are.
- It must be signed by a proposer and a seconder. The proposer and seconder cannot be running in the elections themselves, and each JCR member may only propose or second one nominee per election cycle.
When nominations close, the current reps will contact any candidates with challenge details (a fun thing to present at Hustings).
Hustings will take place in the bar on Wednesday and Thursday of 6th Week. Candidates should prepare a 5 minute speech. There will then be an opportunity for questions. Candidates should also prepare a response to the challenge set by their predecessor.
All students are advised to consult the code of conduct for hustings. In particular, it must be noted that the Returning Officer will overrule inappropriate questions.
Please note that according to the JCR Constitution, Executive Committee positions are only open to students who have been JCR members for at least two academic terms. These positions are:
- Vice President
- Access & Academic Affairs Rep
- MMG (Men and Minority Genders) and WTI (Women and Trans-feminine Identities) Welfare and Equal Opportunities Officers
The remaining positions are open to everyone:
- Entz Reps (x2) (must run as a pair)
- International Rep
- LGBTQ Rep
- Charities Rep
- Environment & Ethics Rep
- Sports & Societies Rep
- Director of Digital Operations (DoDO)
- Freshers’ Rep
- Careers Rep