

St Hugh's JCR Committee Meeting Agenda

Tuesday 16th January 2018, 1st Week HT18, JCR Committee Room

- 1. Reps' Updates**
- 2. Matters Arising from Updates**
- 3. Matters Arising from Last Meeting's Minutes**
- 4. Items for Discussion**
- 5. Any other Business**

1. REPS' UPDATES

President - Alex Yeandle

- College meetings (Governing body, Dean)
- Suu Kyi update
- JCR Publicity FYIs
- Rent ideas FYIs
- Meeting times for rest of term

VP - Roxy Orloff

- Mattress document, asked for 24 hours notice, also ordered a new pump
- Sent formal menu
- Met with Rahele
- Met with Andrew (the hall man)
- Met with Magdalena → potentially room for 9 month leases in Wolfson
- Sat in on Matt's Freshers' Committee meeting

Sec - Alex Buchanan

- Producing minutes in JCR Committee Meeting
- Sent 'Introduction to the New JCR Committee' email
- Introduced use of Google Docs for faster, more efficient and cheaper (no printing!) compilation of Committee Meeting agendas
- Organised Committee Pub Night
- Designed CommitTEA posters

Treasurer - Aditya Badaya

- Had a meet with Sheng, to discuss a presentation for the heads of all societies to explain the amalgamated funding applications and procedure.
- Prepared a the budget for HT18 and will present it at the committee meeting
- Chat with Viny's and Brew as regards student discount for St Hugh's students

AccAff Rep - Jessy McCabe

- Had a handover meeting with Luke Jackson-Ross and discussed potential new College access initiatives.
- Sent an email with access opportunities across the University.
- Organised helpers for a tour this week.
- Spoke to Sophie Roche about proposing a motion to stop JCR support for private school visits.

Welfare Rep - Ella Heinz & Ryan Simpson

- Made the document outlining how we're going to implement the prescriptions motion
- Organised 'WEQ committee and chill' event
- Sent out email about WEQ committee for WEQ elections
- Worked on welfare calendar
- Prepped stuff for welfare tea on Sunday and are planning 'Speedfriending' in second week

Entz Rep - Silvia Mills & Joe Higton Durrant

- Talked to college about all the events we have got planned
- Sent in all of the booking forms and have got them booked
- Advertised BOP and booked speakers/stage/lights for this
- Set up Entz page and held CANs event
- Probably need to talk about buying speakers

LGBTQ Rep - Ro Green

- Emailed Robin Moira White and sorted date and time for her talk
- Booked accommodation in college for her
- Still need to book a room for the talk
- Planning pride flag painting event (there's loads of different flags for different identities)
- Advertised 1st week Tuesgay drinks

International Rep - Afrah Shibu

- Sent introductory email out + collecting contact details for ideas on international events/concerns
- General plan for events for this term:
 - International candy gram - fundraising aspect coordinated with Naomi, worked out costs etc.
 - Chinese New Year
 - Holi
 - G&D's and Ted Talks
 - Arabic mezze night
- Arranged meeting with college nurse for this week
- Prepared ideas/pitch for storage meeting with porters (meeting to be arranged)

Charities Rep - Naomi Hirst

- Sent email with volunteering opportunities
- Liaising with Alex Farrow and college to organise charity comedy night for MIND, booked for 2nd Feb
- Organised charity formal to raise money for EPAfrica
- Discussed with different members of college for upcoming events (toasties for Childreach International, Sandwich club, clothes collection for homeless)

E&E Rep - Anna Pathak

- Sent out survey to get data about number of vegans in college and vegan meals people would eat.
- Met with hall and convinced them to start serving regular vegan meals and stating they are vegan on the menu.
- Started discussion with college waste management about recycling bins in rooms being tried in RTB

- Attended OxHub Freshers Fair to get an idea of what other college EnE are doing and climate charities in the uni
- Liaised with MCR EnE rep

Sports & Socs & Socks Rep - Sheng Ho

- Sent out survey for interest in gym memberships
- Contacted Ferry Leisure Centre regarding a student deal for Hugh's

Careers Officer - Quentin Dercon

- Made/sent out spreadsheet of careers events and accompanying calendar
- In process of arranging handover with Yemi - she's very busy but hopefully should be sorted by the end of the week

DoDO - Jack Miller

- Collected bios/photos and updated JCR 'Meet the Committee' pages, set up emailing forwarding for the RO email to Arjun
- Posted Hall Menu in Facebook group / JCR website
- Updated the website with some remaining minutes from Curtis from 2017
- Stored / Put Out the PS4 in the JCR

Freshers' Rep - Matt Clark

- Sent out college family spreadsheet
- Selected Freshers' Committee and met with them
- Collected feedback from this Year's Freshers on Freshers' Week (37 responses)
- Got myself a timetable on what I need to do each week this term.

2. MATTERS ARISING FROM UPDATES

President - Alex Yeandle

Ella: Can you send me the document?

Alex Y: Yes – can send you the outlined ideas

VP - Roxy Orloff

Murmurs of disapproval surrounding the removal of a couple of houses from the ballot next year (as per meeting with Magdalena) – plan to keep 82 Woodstock Road, which is termly (short) lease

Silvia: Can we get 9-month leases for MTB or Dickson Poon?

Roxy: No – they make more money from conferences than they do from charging us Vac Res. The problem lies with Ed not filling up Wolfson (which we're not surprised about / blaming him for, considering Wolfson are hardly the nicest rooms in college!). Essentially she's giving us 550 rooms next year, but not the 550 *best* rooms in college. Magdalena said she thinks students like Wolfson more because of the 'little house' vibe... [more murmurs of disapproval]

Roxy: 9 month leases are essentially not happening unless you have serious extenuating circumstances

Jessy: Can we not get rid of the Freshers' Staircase in MTB?

Roxy: Nope, these are reserved for those with health problems

Welfare Rep - Ella Heinz & Ryan Simpson

Anna: What's 'Speedfriending'?

Ella: Like speed-dating, encouraging people to speak to those they wouldn't normally speak to

Roxy: What's Bookers?

Ella: Like Costco, using it for snacks for Welfare Teas

Anna: For other events too?

Ella: Bookers for Welfare Teas, Amazon for Sanitary Products, Tesco for misc. snacks

Alex Y: Can we introduce coffee to Welfare Teas?

Ella: Yep!

Roxy: And dairy-free milk for vegans

Ella: Good plan – will look into this

Sheng: Might be worth looking into getting big packs of crisps as opposed to lots of little packs – cost and logistical benefits

Ella: True – will look into this, but Bookers tend to do large multipacks for cheaper than just large packs

Ella: If you want anything else in Welfare Tea, let us know what you want introduced and we'll see what we can do

Entz Rep - Silvia Mills & Joe Higton Durrant

Silvia: Does anyone know about licensing in terms of putting on sports matches etc in the bar?

Roxy: If we have the license to watch the match on the TV, we should be able to project it → can just borrow from the porters

Adi: Liaise with me in terms of purchasing the speakers

Silvia: College seem to be keen to help us out

Adi: What's the deal with the Fever Bop? What was the invoice for?

Silvia: Thinking about maybe charging a £2 entrance fee per person, split the cost half and half with Catz – will be really fun; Catz loves their bops

Alex Y: If we make money from it, we can put it towards speakers!

Matt: How much notice do we need to give you for booking the JCR etc. for events and putting them on?

Silvia: Meant to send in a booking form 2 weeks prior; the deal is that we will get really good at filling in room booking forms really quickly! We can then hand them in.

Alex Y: If in the JCR, doesn't count as an official Hugh's booking. Thinking of putting together a booking calendar for the JCR

Alex Y: Did you find out about potentially doing a 'Happy Hour' for the Bop?

Silvia: College can't do it – it's within their license to not be able to put on promotions

Alex Y: The Dean seemed to be keen to do it?

Silvia: Don't think so – Ervest will know best... BUT we are thinking of putting on a voucher system, and use that for advertising and getting people in. College proposed a snacks promotion system, but doubt this will work – no-one will bother coming if you're going to get a cheap pack of crisps
[murmurs of approval with regards to the drinks voucher system]

Alex Y: Do you have the Entz Camera?

Ella: No, it's here in the JCR Committee Room – but I have a nicer camera that we can use if necessary

LGBTQ Rep - Ro Green

Ella: Might be worth doing the flag painting in 5th week!

Ro: Funding the talk in conjunction with the Hugh's Law Soc

Alex Y: Can you clarify the WEQ vs JCR Committee clashings?

Ro: Thought it might be worth me dropping down to Trans / Minority Genders Rep and not being LGBTQ JCR Rep (because LGBTQ JCR Rep is guaranteed to be more hotly contested and therefore get more people involved in promoting LGBTQ and Trans / Minority Genders), but the constitution (Appendix B2) does not allow me to hold this role as a JCR Committee Member, and it's turning into more of a faff than it's worth, so I'm just going to leave it how it is

Alex Y: Let's discuss this in relation to the Constitutional Working Committee a bit later...

International Rep - Afrah Shibu

Ro: What's a Candy Gram?

Afrah: A fundraising opportunity to get a stash of internationally-sourced sweets sent to someone else anonymously – would be nice to liaise with Naomi to work out a specific charity, or maybe put it back into JCR funding

Adi: What's the deal with Holi? Seems odd that they're not doing it at the right time

Afrah: It's because it's too damn cold in Hilary Term!

Charities Rep - Naomi Hirst

Naomi: Probably worth waiting until the start of next term, or the end of this term, for the spare clothes collection for the homeless

E&E Rep - Anna Pathak

Anna: Veggie meals are far cheaper to make but we're paying the same price, so might be worth seeing if we can wrangle this into getting a better Rent Agreement

Roxy: Can we get food bins?

Anna: Yes, but let's take it one step at a time. MCR Rep is asking about food bins for Dickson Poon, which has been all but confirmed – then I'll ask about rolling it out to the rest of college

Sports & Socs & Socks Rep - Sheng Ho

Sheng: NB – don't use Survey Monkey unless you have Premium, as it only allows you 100 responses!

Alex Y: Decent to get that many responses! Might be worth going to see the Manager at Ferry Leisure Centre to get the deal reinstated

Sheng: It's looking like we'll get it in Trinity Term

Careers Officer - Quentin Dercon

Alex Y: Pathways access from Yemi?

Quentin: Yep, just need to sort out a handover meeting

DoDO - Jack Miller

Alex B: Can use the printing card for photos if you need!

Jack: I'm going to get some nice prints

Roxy: You can get a certain deal that's really cheap and allows you 45 free prints a month – definitely worth looking into!

Freshers' Rep - Matt Clark

Adi: £1800 in the Freshers' Fund, right? This Fund is controllable between you and me

Matt: Yep, it won't have changed

Silvia: I have contact details for Freshers' Week club tickets – liaise with me!

3. MATTERS ARISING FROM LAST MEETING'S MINUTES

4. ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION

- **Academic + Constitutional working committee vote**
 - Academic: Academic affairs and issues
 - Constitutional: Working to reform the Constitution
 - Alex Y: I will be chairing both committees
 - Moving to vote to set up committees: 15 votes (out of 15 Committee Members present) – PASSES

- **Committee food**
 - AY: discuss pizza next week, doesn't make a difference to this week's meeting
 - Last year, JCR Committee organised food before Meetings → proposed using a card that gives us a free hall food
 - Roxy: Scrap the food for us, and put the money into something else
 - Alex B and Roxy: discussed with previous Committee and we can't just remove the pizza – will need to replace with viable alternative or just leave it how it is, otherwise we'll struggle to meet quorum

- **Prescriptions policy motion discuss/vote to endorse**
 - Ella: Can get it for 3 or for 12 months → cheapest option of getting prescriptions if you need to regularly pay for them → anyone with a card we will reimburse, as it will indicate that they actually need the support →

don't want to make it overly complicated though, because that's the whole point that we're setting it up

- Ella: Paying people a maximum of £35 a term – we'll have the applications document out
 - Ella: We want people to take the cut-off date for applications seriously
 - Ella: Adi has mandated to set aside the £1000 this term
 - Ella: Often JCRs have money from college AND a levy (could do it for about £1 a term, could try to put it on battels → that way we would get about £300 a term), therefore this will take the strain off the JCR
 - Alex Y: Likely not to use the full £1000 this term, meaning it's likely to go back into the JCR → we need a vote from the Committee to legitimise this
 - Adi: This can't go on indefinitely → the JCR will ultimately run out of money, so we will have to move to reliance on College and a levy
 - Prescriptions Motions as per the document on the Facebook group
APPROVED: 15 votes (out of 15 Committee Members present)
- **CommitTEA** - What is it? Who will be involved? When is it?
 - Alex B: Making ourselves available as Committee Members in the JCR for an hour every other week to meet with and give advice to JCR members – making us more accessible to the JCR as a whole. Maybe with a Welfare Tea-style snacks provision
 - Alex Y: Can authorise this with a Committee Vote
 - Alex B: Only other issue is *when*?
 - Alex Y: Can't be before the JCR Meeting – Executive members have other commitments
 - Alex B: we don't want to steal Welfare Tea's thunder!
 - Jack: Do we really need to? Doesn't really seem like there will be demand for it... We have feedback forms on the website, and there were 2 throughout all of 2017. It's good from a visibility standpoint, but I don't think people will use it if they have actual qualms
 - Alex B: Maybe it's not worth doing it until MT18 – give an introduction to the JCR at that stage to the newbies?
 - Alex Y: That might work. But as we're a new committee, it might be a good idea to have a 'Meet the Committee' style event, perhaps on a Sunday when there isn't a Welfare Tea
 - Alex B: Let's put this to Google Poll for organisation
 - **Budget HT18**
 - Adi: Need to formally approve the budget. Just as a tip, keep budgeting! But, if you do run out, I can work on helping you find the money
 - Jessy: Is there a way to incorporate Access into the budget?
 - Adi: Looked at all the budgets for last year, kept more for Welfare in Trinity (exams) and Entz in Michaelmas (Freshers). But see how it goes this term, and liaise with me for the next term
 - Adi: If you have spent money, pidge me the receipt and bank details
 - Budget APPROVED: 14 votes (out of 14 Committee Members present)
 - Adi: I'll send out an email to the rest of the JCR

- **Private school visits**
 - Jessy: Going to make a JCR Motion on Sunday to withdraw JCR support for private school visits – wouldn't have student-led tours; advocate that private schools should not be included in outreach
 - Roxy: Agreed. But a lot of these private schools want to come, can we not just say YES, but charge them for lunch – i.e. use the situation to our advantage
 - Jessy: Currently the issues: We are paying for their lunch, and organisation for them to come is taking Luke away from First Gen initiatives in state schools
 - Emailed Luke → his response was nope: he is an admissions and outreach officer, and his job is to email and attract the best candidates, especially when they approach him
 - Jessy: use the St John's model → Private schools don't have formal tours
 - Jessy: 'Outreach' means that Private Schools are literally not part of his job ("students from disadvantaged backgrounds")
 - Roxy: i.e. maybe if you don't fund Private School lunches, it might serve the Rent Agreement
 - Jessy: probably not, we're already asking for quite a lot for Access

- **College ambassador scheme**
 - Jessy: Most colleges have this but Hugh's doesn't → essentially students sign up at the beginning of term, and have a training session with general outreach advice → additional benefits include paid opportunities
 - Alex B: good to centralise the tours system
 - Naomi: Could link this to the Interview Weeks!
 - Alex Y: Title of 'College Ambassador' is also, rightly, a benefit to those involved
 - Jessy: Thoughts on making it that you HAVE to be a College Ambassador for tours and Interview Weeks?
 - Naomi: No, that would be a step too far

- **Replacing PS4 game**
 - Jack: working to keep the PS4 games in the library, as a result of someone stealing one of the games last term → need to do some research to find a library that *does* this as a model in order to persuade the Hugh's Library that it's a good idea

- **Edit to constitution concerning charities elections**
 - Deal with this in the Constitutional Working Committee
 - Alex Y: sort this in 5th week

- **Formal attendance, ideas to increase it**
 - Roxy: 'Hall' capacity is 140, and JCR and MCR get 70 each – but we don't want to lose these
 - Roxy: need to up the popularity!
 - Jack: What about upping the guest allowance to two?
 - Roxy: Sounds good, will try to sort this out
 - Roxy: Maybe stick up the menus?
 - Naomi: Invent a Subject Dinner, or a College Family Dinner to make it more of an 'event'

- Jack: What about a Hugh's Night?
- Roxy: it was around about Christmas... There was free wine!
- **What voting system are we using? (Ed said it was changing)**
 - Roxy: within our capacity to shift around the days for Voting? Doesn't need to be a whole Committee decision → there were a lot of problems last year with Ed having to resend out loads of emails to invite to vote
- **Lights on Canterbury Road gate**
 - Matt: a fresher approached me, saying that they couldn't see anything when locking bike up etc!
 - Alex Y: I'll look into this – update when I speak to the bursar when they get back from annual leave
 - Alex Y and Ella: There will be an update next week in terms of roofing over bike racks – especially an issue for international students
- **Storage Ideas**
 - Can we maybe get a security camera in storage? → solve the issue of theft and things going missing
 - Afrah: Can we also try to use the storage cupboards in RTB?
 - Ella: make the rules more clear re storage → should be fewer issues
 - Adi: issues with items that can't be stored in damp areas (e.g. Guitar!)

5. ANY OTHER BUSINESS

- Matt: Can I get the contact details for the clubs (like Bridge, TVC, Park End - I was told there are two companies that run the club scene) from Entz plz?
 - Email addresses exchanged for Varsity and Encore; liaising with Silvia
- Afrah: keys to committee room
 - Alex Y: the lock was changed → lack of clarity about what's going on here → will speak to porter and let people know what's happening
 - Alex Y: issue is with porters not wanting loads of keys out and about → will look into a Bod Card access system!

Meeting length: 1 hour 45 minutes